TITLE: Mental Health and Psychosocial Support - Technical Advisor
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Emergency Programs
LOCATION: Remote, with periodic visits to HQ and the field
TIME FRAME: Six-month full-time consulting assignment
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that responds to people affected by poverty or disaster with life-changing health programs, medicine and medical supplies. Each year, Americares reaches more than 90 countries and all 50 U.S. states with over $600 million in innovative health programs and quality medical aid. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies.
Americares global health programs, seek to confront crisis and create change by creating pathways to health and opportunity. We aspire to support individuals, families and their communities to realize improved health outcomes that lead to years of good health so they can reach their full potential. The Global Programs teams at the organization lead this work, working with our partners in over 40 countries through our Access to Medicines and Medical Consumables and reaching a total of 84 countries and 50 states through our work annually. The teams include the International Partnerships & Programs team, the US Team, and the Emergency Programs team, which encompasses emergency preparedness and risk reduction, emergency response, and disaster recovery.
Americares is seeking an experienced, dynamic, MHPSS Technical Advisor to help Americares develop and implement strategies and initiatives to build capacity of health workers to address mental health issues in disasters and humanitarian crises, build resilience of communities and health workers, and to help individuals and communities affected by disasters to recover more quickly. The Disaster Mental Health and Psychosocial Services Technical Advisor will use his/her knowledge of best practices and proven MHPSS methodologies, appropriate for the relevant phase of the emergency and adopted as needed for the intervention context to provide expert advice, program design, training, and program management services related to Mental Health and Psychosocial Services in a disaster context.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The MHPSS Technical Advisor will lead or support a variety of activities to develop Americares capacity to implement effective mental health and psychosocial programming during the response and recovery phases of disasters. As a retained consultant, assignments will vary and include both general consulting, program design and review, research design and implementation, and deployment to provide training, program management, technical assistance, or monitoring in the field. Specific activities may include:
- Contribute to the development and refinement of Americares disaster MHPSS strategy, approach, and toolkit
- Develop and/or contribute to Americares MHPSS strategy following specific disasters
- Conduct needs assessment and gap analyses
- Lead or contribute to research study design and implementation in his/her area of expertise
- Develop funding proposals and concept notes for MHPSS interventions and research
- Design MHPSS projects using project cycle management methodology
- Lead and/or advise Americares mental health and psychosocial initiatives in the field.
- Provide guidance and training to Americares staff at HQ and in the field.
- Provide training and technical assistance to Americares partners.
- Interview and evaluate candidates for MHPSS positions and contribute to hiring decisions
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced degree in psychology or related discipline, with coursework in mental health and psychosocial programming in humanitarian contexts
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in mental health and psychosocial programming, with significant experience in developing countries and in disaster/humanitarian crisis contexts.
- Proven track record in developing strategies, designing programs, and conducting training and providing technical assistance in MHPSS
- Experience designing and conducting original research an advantage
- Fluency in English required; proficiency in French, Spanish, or Arabic an advantage
- Willingness to travel and work in remote areas
- Able to operate independently and as part of a team