TITLE: Technical Advisor - Nutrition
DEPARTMENT: Technical Unit
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Technical Unit
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that responds to people affected by poverty or disaster with life-changing health programs, medicine and medical supplies. Each year, Americares reaches more than 90 countries and all 50 U.S. states with over $600 million in innovative health programs and quality medical aid. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies.
Americares global health programs, seek to confront crisis and create change by creating pathways to health and opportunity. We aspire to support individuals, families and their communities to realize improved health outcomes that lead to years of good health so they can reach their full potential. The Global Programs teams at the organization lead this work, working with our partners in over 40 countries through our Access to Medicines and Medical Consumables and reaching a total of 84 countries and 50 states through our work annually. The teams include the International Partnerships & Programs team, the US Team, and the Emergency Programs team, which encompasses emergency preparedness and risk reduction, emergency response, and disaster recovery.
Americares is seeking an experienced, dynamic advisor to provide technical and strategic guidance to Americares global work in nutrition. The Advisor, Nutrition will provide technical assistance to help assess needs and opportunities, and design and support the implementation of high quality, effective nutrition programs in selected countries. In addition, the Nutrition Advisor will work with the Technical Unit and other senior leaders at Headquarters to define and articulate Americares global nutrition strategy, and contribute to proposals and other business development efforts.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
We are seeking a Technical Advisor - Nutrition to guide and support our work in nutrition. The Technical Advisor - Nutrition will report to the Vice President of our Technical Unit and will:
- Serve as an expert advisor in nutrition within Americares and with external partners and donors.
- Provide technical expertise and oversight to ensure programs apply evidence-based nutrition interventions in our programs, and develop and support new approaches.
- Develop and supports nutritional needs assessments and analyzes findings.
- Help design, monitor, and evaluate new nutrition programs or program components Builds the capacity of HQ and country office staff in nutrition, by conducting training, workshops, and disseminating best practices.
- Develop tools, methodologies, and approaches to guide Americares nutrition programming.
- Develop long-term strategies for Americares technical and programming priorities in nutrition.
- Play key role in identification, development and submission of quality proposals in nutrition and health.
- Establish and maintain new and existing relationships with key donors and program partners to advance global health/nutrition work.
- Represent Americares with coordinating bodies, peer networks, and other collaborating bodies.
- Advanced degree in nutrition, public health or medicine.
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in international nutrition programming, including at least 5 years working on nutrition programs in developing countries.
- Proven track record in designing programs and developing effective project proposals in nutrition.
- Fluency in English required; proficiency in French, Spanish, or Arabic is an advantage.
- Willingness to travel and work in remote areas.
- Able to operate independently and as part of a team.
- Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States.