TITLE: Associate Director, Development - Chicago Region
DEPARTMENT: Individual Philanthropy
LOCATION: Chicago, IL
REPORTS TO: Director, Individual Philanthropy
ASSIGNMENT TYPE: Regular, FTE 40 hrs/week
Americares is a health-focused relief and development nonprofit organization that responds to people affected by poverty or disaster with life-changing health programs, medicine and medical supplies. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies, delivering over $500 million in innovative health programs and quality medical aid to more than 90 countries and all 50 U.S. states each year. For more information, visit americares.org.
Our dedicated development team has the opportunity, every day, to engage in work with a purpose that contributes to achieving our strategic vision.
It’s an exciting time for Americares as we embark on the next ambitious chapter of our evolution, calling for aspirational growth in programming, resource acquisition and operational excellence. We are excited to be launching Chicago as a pilot city to expand our presence by enlisting the support of new individual, foundation and corporate donors who are committed to our mission of supporting thriving local health centers across the US and globally. The Associate Director will design and implement strategies to broaden the cultivation of current and prospective major donors in Chicago and the Midwest, with particular emphasis on generating larger gifts, expanding the capacity of existing donors, and building a pipeline of new donors.
The scope of responsibilities includes raising funds in this region, maintaining relationships with key donors and stakeholders, building Americares’s community in Chicago and the Midwest, running a local leadership group.
The Associate Director will be part of a broader development team based at our headquarters in Stamford, CT. The Associate Director will effectively collaborate with other team members within Development (Individual Philanthropy officers, Institutional Relations and Corporate Relations) in order to accomplish program objectives. The Individual Philanthropy team raises $12 million annually and this position will be part of our efforts to broaden Americares base.
Americares U.S. Program collaborates with free and charitable clinics, federally qualified health centers and other health care organizations to serve Illinois residents without access to care. Though the state expanded Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, about 900,000 adults remain uninsured. Active in the state since 2011, our 48 partner clinics—including 19 in the Chicagoland area—provided 1,754,827 visits for 382,650 unique uninsured or underinsured patients in 2016. Americares delivered over $2.7 million worth of medicines and supplies to our Illinois network last year, nearly tripling our 2015 total of $989,000.
Americares has strong partnerships with the University of Chicago Medicine, Loyola University Chicago, Illinois Association of Free & Charitable Clinics, American Medical Association, Chicago Council on Global Affairs and Chicago-headquartered Feeding America. Americares staff collaborates with these organizations to raise health awareness and identify opportunities to improve care.
The Associate Director will coordinate some of these partnerships, and will work closely with Americares U.S. program staff to leverage our work with donors and prospects. He/she will also create and execute special events and ways to engage local Americares supporters, and effectively articulate Americares’s local, national and global impact.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Steward and solicit a portfolio of major donors, working closely with the Individual Philanthropy team to grow the number of supporters in Chicago;
- Partner with the Associate Director, Prospect Development to conduct research on new prospects and cultivate new donors and work with Director, Individual Philanthropy on strategies for expanding Americares’ base in Chicago;
- Liaise with Institutional Relations team to advance foundation and corporate partnerships;
- Manage local Chicago-based group of Americares supporters;
- Develop and manage a pipeline of prospects through using a moves management system;
- Maintain stewardship contacts with donors; adhere to the highest ethical standards; demonstrate empathetic disposition, and perseverance; and reflect optimistic and positive attitude;
- Plan, execute and staff fundraising events;
- Work in close partnership with the Development team on Americares campaign to raise more multi-year funding for the organization;
- Build relationships with key academic, health, and pharmaceutical institutions in Chicago and represent Americares to diverse audiences;
- Play a leadership role in operating independently in Chicago, while working closely with a broader national team to grow Americares’s presence and donor base.
CORE AMERICARES RESPONSIBILITIES
- Foster Americares values of respect, collaboration & teamwork, trust, passion and commitment, compassion, and excellence.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree or equivalent record of continuing professional development preferred.
- Seven to ten years successful experience in major gift fundraising; experience with planned giving and campaign fundraising preferred;
- Strong knowledge of the Chicago health and philanthropic communities, with the ability to strategically target potential new donors;
- Ability to build and maintain strong personal one-on-one and institutional relationships;
- High degree of flexibility in order to achieve organizational objectives;
- Strong attention to detail with the ability to solve problems, work independently, and excel in a high-performance culture; and
- The ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally as necessary.
- Commitment to Americares mission